Church of Christ at Brushy
“WHAT WE BELIEVE”
Each congregation of the Church of Christ is autonomous and has no central governing body. Each congregation is governed by the Bible itself as the inspired and infallible word of God (II Peter 1:20-21, II Timothy 3:16-17). God has commanded that each congregation be overseen by elders (Titus 1:5-9, Philippians 1:1, Hebrews 13:7, Acts 14:23).
* Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning, God (Elohim) created the heavens and
* Genesis 1:26: “Then God (Elohim) said, ‘Let us make man in our image,
after our likeness.’”
* John 1:1: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.”
The Bible teaches us that God created everything that is seen and those things not seen. The word God (Elohim) in Genesis 1:1 is plural in nature, but singular, referring to the trinity: God the Father, God the Son (or the word “Logos” in John 1:1) and God the Spirit. We believe the Godhead created all things and in Their love for mankind and in Their desire to reconcile man have provided a plan whereby we can be reconciled. That plan is revealed to man through the Bible. God promised this reconciliation even before the world began (Titus 1:2, Romans 16:25, I Corinthians 2:7). The whole theme of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation is the reconciliation of man to God. This reconciliation was made possible by the death, burial, and resurrection of his Son, Jesus (I John 1:7, Hebrews 9:22). In order to be cleansed by Jesus’ blood we must be immersed in water as Jesus instructs in the great commission (Matthew 28:18-20). There are many examples in the New Testament of believers doing this very thing in
order to be saved (Acts 2:36-38, Acts 2:46-47, Acts 8:26-39, Mark 16:15-16, Romans 6:1-6, I Peter 3:18-22).
* Jesus was crucified, buried, and rose from the dead.
* To live eternally with God, we must obey His commands concerning how
we become a part of his body, the Church (Acts 2:38, 41, 47).
* We must live faithfully until death.
* We must speak only where the Bible speaks and remain silent where the
Bible is silent.
* It is not our job to judge, but we will be judged by God according to the
Words of His son, Jesus (John 12:48).
* We should follow the New Testament pattern for worship, organization,
leadership, means of seeking salvation, and daily conduct.
* Out singing should be a cappella (Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16).
* We should pray to God in our worship (Philippians 4:6).
* We should read God’s word in our worship (Acts 17:11, Colossians 4:16,
I Thessalonians 5:27, Revelations 1:3).
* We should partake of the Lord’s Supper on each first day of the week
* We should give of our means each first day of the week (I Corinthians
16:1-2, II Corinthians 9:6-7).
* We should study God’s word (II Timothy 2:15).
We would love for you to visit with us, and we will do our best to show God’s love toward you. If you have any questions, please submit them to us through our website or in person. If we can be of assistance to you in any way, please let us know.
Church of Christ at Brushy (Romans 16:16)